People have forgotten just what a scourge the disease of tuberculosis was. Entire families were afflicted by this disease and it was a common cause of death among the young as well as the old. TB has been around a long time – researchers have found evidence of the disease in prehistoric human remains and […]
Genealogy of Sharon & Scotty
I am happy to provide a quick note about George Chester Bryant. He was the second husband of Dorothy Josephine Johnson Burgraff and without Chet things may not have turned out so well for the Burgraff children. Chet married Dorothy in 1941 and took on her four children during a time when money was pretty […]
The hunt for Annie Barrett was on, and she immediately turned up on the 1900 census in Camden, New Jersey. I knew I had the right woman when I saw her parents were both born in England. There were several hours of crazed digging as I worked through the records and found the 1910 census […]
Happy Dancing The joy and sorrow of genealogy is that just when you find the most exciting things… you run into the reality that you may not find anything else for that family due to the lack of extant records. There just aren’t that many things from the 1700s. The other reality is that there […]
One of the problems with genealogy is that we become so focused on moving back that we sometimes fail to take the time to look at an individual life. Often there is little documentation for a particular individual and their importance to us is passed over in search of a relative who “did something.” It […]
The first of Scotty’s family pages is now up. This was the family that hooked me on genealogy and writing about family history. I saw a picture that included Cynthia Viola Lawton, Mary Etta Pickle Lawton, and John Pickle, and I had an epiphany. My father-in-law knew his great-grandfather well and had in fact spent […]
This is the second of Scotty’s pages with lines based in Scotland along with the pedigree chart. I have been working the Rae line fairly hard in the last year and I’m pretty comfortable with what I have put together. I have been fortunate enough to work with one of Scotty’s second cousins and she […]
Unburying Your Dead One of the more frustrating aspects of genealogy is attempting to locate a death date and burial location for your ancestor. You know your ancestor is dead, and you know that his/her death occurred between 1870 and 1880 since there is census information on the individual in 1870 and a widowed spouse […]
The hunt for Annie Barrett was on, and she immediately turned up on the 1900 census in Camden, New Jersey. I knew I had the right woman when I saw her parents were both born in England. There were several hours of crazed digging as I worked through the records and found the 1910 census and the 1895 New Jersey State Census. After marrying Thomas, she appears on records as both Phoebe and as Ann/Anna/Annie. I also found New Jersey birth and marriage registrations for several of her children, as well as a Social Security Application for one to prove Annie Barrett’s maiden name was Walker.
Here’s what I can prove so far along with a timeline for Phoebe Ann and her husband Thomas P. Barrett:
Phoebe Ann Lincoln Walker married Thomas Patrick Barrett about 1884. Thomas was born about 1863 in Ireland, the son of Thomas Barrett (1843-1875) and Johanna Griffin (1843-?). His immigration dates appear as 1865/66 and he lists himself as naturalized. Thomas appears with his family on the 1870 census as Patrick. There are multiple Thomas and Patrick Barretts in Philadelphia and New Jersey which has lead to some confusion. However, our Thomas Patrick Barrett is a machinist in Camden from at least 1895-1940. His job and location do not vary, and throughout his adult life, one or more of his children is in the same household.
1884 – Phoebe Ann and Thomas Patrick marry. I believe in a church in Philadelphia, but I have not yet found a record of the marriage. This is based on their census information.
1885 May 23 – son Charles Lawrence Barrett born in Philadelphia.1
1887 Mar – daughter Annie Barrett born in Philadelphia.
1887 Jul 1 – daughter Annie Barrett died in Philadelphia.2
1888 Jun 30 – daughter Mary (Mamie/Mame) A. Barrett born in Philadelphia.3
1891 Feb 12 – daughter Catherine Barrett born in Philadelphia.4
1893 Jul 28 – daughter Johannah/Joanna/Hannah Josephine Barrett born in Philadelphia.5
1895 May 15 – New Jersey State Census, Camden – Thomas P. Barrett, Annie, Charles, Mamie, Joanna, Katherine.6
1897 Oct 2 – daughter Cecelia/Celia Barrett born in Camden, New Jersey.7
1900 Feb 20 – son Thomas Patrick Barrett (Jr) born in Camden, New Jersey.8
1900 Jun 4 – Federal Census, Camden – Barrett, Thomas Mar 1863, married 16 years, Machinist, Annie July 1865, 7 children, 6 living, Chas May 1885, Mary Jun 1888, Katherine Feb 1891, Hannah Aug 1893, Celia Oct 1897, Thomas Feb 1900.9
1901 Jan 29 – sister-in-law Kate (Unknown) Walker dies and names Annie Barrett in her will.10
1902 Jul 26 – daughter Helen Bessie Barrett born in Camden, New Jersey.11
1905 Jun 14 – New Jersey State Census, Camden – 932 Howard St. Thos P. Barrett 41 Machinist, Annie P. 38, Chas L. 20, Mary 16, Katherine 14, Johanna 12, Celia 8, Thos P 6, Helen B 3.12
1908 – daughter Mary Barrett marries Albert P. Richter.13
1908 Nov 25 – son Charles Lawrence marries Mary C. Frees in Philadelphia.14
1910 Apr 28 – Federal Census, Camden – 932 Howard St. Barrett, Thomas P, 46, Machinist, Phoebe A. 41, Catherine 19, Johanna 17, Cecelia 13, Thomas 10, Helen 8, Johanna 66 [Thomas’ mother].15
1910 daughter Catherine marries Archie Mason. [Based on census]
1910-12 Phoebe Ann Lincoln (Walker) Barrett passed away. She appeared on the 1910 census completed 28 April and in the Camden city directory, but not in the 1911 directory. She’s definitely deceased prior to the 1915 New Jersey State Census when Thomas lists himself as a widower.
1915 Jun 8 – New Jersey State Census, Camden – 63 State St, Barrett: Thomas P. Mar 1863, 52, Widower, Cecile Oct 1897 17, Thomas P. Jr. Feb 1900 15, Helen Jun 1902 12, John J. Oct 1872 42 [brother of Thomas – driver], Joseph Oct 1875 39 [brother of Thomas – blacksmith], Richter, Mamie R. Jun 1889 25 married [dau], Richter, Thomas Apr 1911 4 [grandson].16
1916-17 – daughter Cecelia marries Lloyd Fulcher.
1920 – Not yet found on the census, however Thomas, Thomas Jr. are in the Camden City Directory.17 They along with Helen, and Mary are in the Camden City Directory from 1921-25 at 210 Main St.
1924 Aug 19 daughter Josephine marries William Shaner in Camden.18
1925 – daughter Helen marries Edward Gribbin. [Based on census]
1926 – son Thomas Jr. marries Catherine Guilfoy in Philadelphia.19
1930 Apr 8 – Federal Census, Camden – 224 Main St. Barrett, Thomas P. 65 Wd, Richter Mary 37 divorced [dau], Richter Thomas 18 [grandson].20
1940 Apr 4 – Federal Census, Camden – Elm St, Barrett, Thomas P. 75 Wd, Shaner, Josephine 39 Wd [Dau], Murphy, Florence 17 [Granddaughter] They are residing in the home of Raymond Heater and Josephine is listed as the housekeeper.21
After 1940 – Thomas Patrick Barrett passed away.
The documentation is available on the BurgraffScott family tree on Ancestry and being added to FamilySearch.org.
1. Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, FHL Film #1,289,324, Charles L. Barrett, 23 May 1885, Father Thomas Bareet, Mother Annie Barrtt; digital image, “Pennsylvania Births and Christening, 1709-1950,” (11 Aug 2017).
2. Pennsylvania City of Philadelphia, Philadelphia City Death Certificates 1803-1915, FHL Film #2,078,756: Annie Barrett, 1 Jul 1887, age 3 mo, Father Thomas P. Barrett, mother Annie Barrett; digital image, Family Search, New Family Search (http://pilot.familysearch.org: 11 Aug 2017).
3. Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Bk Jan 1888, p. 296, Mary Barrett, 30 Jun 1888, Father Thos. Barrett, other Annie Barrett; digital image, “Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, City Births 1860-1906,” (11 Aug 2017).
4. Social Security Administration, “Social Security Death Index,” database, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 11 Aug 2017), Catherine Mason, b. 12 Feb 1891, d. Aug 1978.
5. Social Security Administration, “Social Security Death Index,” database, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 11 Aug 2017), Josephine Shaner, b 28 Jul 1893, d. Jan 1964.
6. New Jersey, population schedule, Camden, p. 144, family 882, line 4305, Annie Barrett, 20-60; digital images, Ancestry(accessed 12 Aug 2017).
7. “New Jersey, Births and Christenings Index, 1660-1931,” database(accessed 12 Aug 2017), Female Barrett, b. 2 Oct 1897, father Thomas Barrett, mother Phoebe Walker; FHL Film #494237.
8. “New Jersey, Births and Christenings Index, 1660-1931,” database(accessed 12 Aug 2017), Male Barrett, 20 Feb 1900, father Thomas Barrett, mother Phoebe Walker; FHL Film #494237.
9. 1900 U.S. census, Camden, New Jersey, population schedule, Camden, enumeration district (ED) 33, p. 4A, dwelling 79, family 80, Annie Barrett; digital images, Ancestry (accessed 12 Aug 2017); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T623, roll 957.
10. Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993, Kate Walker, 7 Feb 1901, Philadelphia, Case #230, Wills, No 218-245, 1901; digital images, Ancestry (accessed 11 Aug 2017).
11. Social Security Administration, “Social Security Death Index,” database, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 12 Aug 2017), Helen Gribbin, b. 26 Jul 1902, d. 5 May 1989.
12. 1905 State Census, New Jersey, population schedule, Camden, p. 35, line 43, Annie P. Barrett, 38; digital images, FamilySearch.org(accessed 12 Aug 2017); citing FHL microfilm 1,688,591.
13. New Jersey, Marriage Index, 1901-1914, “Ancestry,” database (accessed 12 Aug 2017), Mary Barrett to Albert Richter 1908.
14. “Philadelphia Marriage Indexes, 1885-1951,” database, Fmaily Search (http://www.familysearch.org : accessed 12 Aug 2017), Charles Barrett to Mary Frees, 1908.
15. 1910 U.S. census, Camden, New Jersey, population schedule, Camden, enumeration district (ED) 8, p. 14B, dwelling 270, family 278, Phoebe A. Barrett, 41; digital images, Ancestry (accessed 12 Aug 2017); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T624, roll 872.
16. 1915 New Jersey State Census, New Jersey, population schedule, Camden, Camden, p. 16A, family 346, line 30, Thomas P. Barrett; digital images, FamilySearch(accessed 12 Aug 2017); citing FHL Film #1,465,509.
17. Camden, New Jersey, City Directory, 1920 p.89, Barrett, Thos, machst, h 63 State St; digital imagesaccessed 12 Aug 2017.
18. New Jersey, United Methodist Church Records, 1800-1970, “Trinity, Camden, 19 Aug 1924 William Shaner to Josephine Barrett,”; digital images, Ancestry.
19. “Philadelphia Marriage Indexes, 1885-1951,” database, Fmaily Search (http://www.familysearch.org : accessed 12 Aug 2017), Thomas Barrett to Catherine Guilfoy, 1926.
20. 1930 U.S. census, Camden, New Jersey, population schedule, Camden, enumeration district (ED) 2, p. 7A, dwelling 89, family 93, Thomas P. Barett, 65; digital images, Ancestry (accessed 12 Aug 2017); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T626, roll 1319.
21. 1940 U.S. census, Camden, New Jersey, population schedule, Camden, enumeration district (ED) 8-3, p. 2A, Thomas P. Barret, 75; digital images, Ancestry (accessed 12 Aug 2017); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T627, roll 2342.