Willem Burggraaf was born 14 November 1822 in Schoorewoerd, Zuid, Netherlands.1 He was the eighth child of Jan Burggraf and Jantje Van Stenis and he left the Netherlands with his older brother Pieter and cousin Peter in April 1847, arriving at the Port of Baltimore aboard the Maastroom on 2 Jun 1847.2
Also aboard that ship was his future wife Sygje Stek, and together they made the trek to Pella, Marion County, Iowa, with a large group of Dutch settlers. Here Willem and Seigje (known as Sallie or Sadie) would marry on 15 August 1848 and raise their family.
Willem Burgraff born 1822 the Netherlands – 1900 Pella, Marion County, Iowa,3
married Seigje Stek – 15 Aug 1848 Marion County, Iowa,4
Seigje Stek – 7 Mar 1820 – 1901 Sioux County, Iowa.5,6
Children of Willem and Seigje Burggraaf:
Jantje Burggraaf (1850-1928),
Albert Burggraaf (1853-1928),
Goverdina (Diana) Burggraaf (1855-bef. 1900),
Annetye (Anna) Burggraaf (1857-1933),
Jan Burggraaf (1858-1921)
There is a well documented path back 5 more generations to Hendrick Adriaense Van Den Burghgraeff (1572-1612), and I received a lot of guidance from an online tree Parenteel van Adriaen Hendriksz. I was searching for “Willem Burggraaf” Pella, Iowa when this site came up. Willem is “IXs” on this page and this site gave me the leads to his family. If you follow his father back you will see that it lists his children, including both Pieter, and Peter.
I’ll start the story of the family from here with the immigration of Willem and his brothers. Stay tuned for pictures and documentation.
1. Genlias database, Genlias (http://www.genlias.nl/en : accessed 9 Jul 2009), Birth – Willem Burggraaf 14 Nov 1822, father Jan Burggraaf, mother Jaantje van Stenis; Civil Register – Nationaal Archief (Rijksarchief Zuid-Holland).
2. National Archives, Washington, D.C., “Baltimore Passenger Lists, 1820-1848,” database, Ancestry (http://www.ancestry.com: accessed 9 Jul 2009), Ship name: Maasstroom, Passenger: Willem Burggraaf, age 24, Farmer; Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Baltimore, Maryland
3. Graceland Cemetery (Marion County, Iowa), William Burggraaf marker.
4. Marion County, Iowa, marriage register, Wiillem Burggraaf-Sygje Stek, 1848.
5. Kedichem, Zuid, Netherlands, “Tienjarige tafels 1818-1842 Geboorten, huwelijken 1818-1842,” ( ), Geboorten (Births), Syke (Seigje) Stek, 7 Mar 1820; FHL microfilm 120,928
6. Graceland Cemetery (Marion County, Iowa), Sallie Burggraaf marker.