Two Wives – Nine Known Children
Children with Ann Chaddock.
1. George – previously discussed.
2. Jane E., born 31 Jan 1823 Winstanley, baptized 9 Mar 1823, St Aidan, Billinge. Jane married William C. Austin (1818-27 Feb 1860) in about 1843/44 in New York. William’s death record stated he was interred in Green-Wood Cemetery, however he was not found in their burial records. They had two know children: Josephine (Austin) Wilson (Nov 1845-2 Jul 1893) and William F. Austin (abt 1849-Nov 1854) both of whom are buried in the Brimlow family plot of Cypress Hills. Jane is last found at the age of 47 on the 1870 Census. I have not found a death record or notice for her, nor have I found a second marriage record. The search continues.
3. Margaret, born 31 Jan 1823 Winstanley, died 2 Feb 1823, Winstanley, buried 3 Feb 1823, St Aidan, Billinge.
4. William, born 8 Jul 1825, Ashton in Makerfield, baptized 19 Jul 1825 St Thomas, Aston in Makerfield. He appears to have worked for his father in the coffee and spice trade for some time. On 11 Nov 1861, he enlisted as a private in Co. F, 87th N.Y. Inf., “Brooklyn Rifles” 11 Nov 1861 and participated in the Peninsular Campaign, including the Seige of Yorktown (5 Apr-4 May 1862) and Battle of Williamsburg, where on 5 May 1862, he was wounded in action. According to his compiled service record, Pvt Brimlow remained at Camp Pitcher in a field hospital and was then transferred to the division hospital near Falmouth, where he eventually died as a result of his wounds and disease. (*Note- his CSR states Falmouth, but the History of the NY Volunteers by Sergeant Fred Flood states Alexandria.) Remains from both those areas were transferred to Fredericksburg National Cemetery. On 3 May 1846, he married Sophia Emeline Barker in New York, the daughter of John Barker. They had at least 6 known children together: Mary Alice Brimlow (1847-1914) – m. Jacob Coutieri (Feb 1842-27 Nov 1903), Henry Brimlow (23 May 1849-2 Feb 1904) m. Henrietta Sophia Pieman (1848-1939), Elizabeth Ann Brimlow (17 May 1851-Mar 1854), Sophia Emeline Brimlow (13 Apr 1853-17 Feb 1880) m. John Day Smith (1850-?), and John L. Brimlow (27 Feb 1857-30 Sep 1935) m1.& div. Elen Harkin (1854-bef 1900) m2 Jennie Scheffler (1878-?). Fredericka (abt 1863- bef 1870). Fredericka appears only on the 1865 New York state census as age 1, so her birth could be anytime between June 1863 and June 1864. She is not in the death records, nor is she in the Brimlow family plot.
Sophia remained in Brooklyn near William’s family and did not remarry. Throughout the rest of her life she appears in the Brooklyn city directories and in the census records as a tailoress. In 1872, she had a son named William Lewis Brimlow (10 Nov 1872-17 Oct 1930). His death certificate states his father was William Brimlow of England. This has caused some confusion for some people, but it’s simply a case of Sophia naming a child born out of wedlock for her late husband. Young William no doubt knew that William had died in the Civil War but the informant on his death certificate still named him as father. William Lewis Brimlow m. Catherine E. Hans (Feb 1871-29 Sep 1946). On the 1900 census she stated she had a total of 9 children (I can account for 7) with 4 still living – Mary, Henry, John, and William. She was with William’s family and they were residing next door to John and his children after his divorce from Ellen. Sophia died 12 Dec 1905 and was buried in the Brimlow family plot.
5. Henry, born about 1826 was not found in any records or by any other name in Lancashire. I swear to you that I have one in every family who doesn’t make it into the church records and isn’t counted, but they appear later on passenger lists and in census records. I don’t know why. It is possible that he’s not their child, but was being raised by William and Ann and named by them. Henry can last be accounted for on his William’s 1840 census records (age 14-15), but even that’s iffy as it’s not a by-name census. He is not found on the 1850 census, in any city directory, or in the family plot. It is possible that he died prior to the plot acquisition and was not moved into the plot with the family. I believe he died quite young, but it is also possible that as a young man of 18 or so, he simply went west with the thousands of other young men from New York. I’m still looking.
6. John, born 25 Oct 1829 Pemberton, baptized 2 Nov 1829 All Saints, Wigan. John was still with his parents on the 1850 census and then appeared in the 1853 New York City directory with his father and brother George at the same home and business addresses. In about 1852 he married Sarah Mariah McGowan (Jul 1835-?). About 1855/56 when his family was relocating to Brooklyn, John moved to Connecticut, where Sarah was from. John died 16 Sep 1869 in Grenwich, Fairfield, Connecticut and was interred in the Stanwich Congregational Church Cemetery. His will was entered into probate on 13 Oct 1869. John and Sarah had four known children together: Anna J. “Jennie” (Mar 1853 NY – ?) m. William B. Hubbard; William F. Brimlow (16 May 1855 Manhattan – 12 May 1882 Fairfield, Connecticut) listed as divorced on the 1880 census. He’s buried with his father. Sarah Brimlow (abt 1857 Conn – ?). John Howard Brimlow (Mar 1866 Conn – 17 Oct 1902 Bronx, NY) m. Catharine Carroll (Mar 1870 – 12 Dec 1909).
Children with Deborah Gedney:
7. Arthur W. born about 1853 New York, died 22 Aug 1896, buried 25 Aug 1896 in the Brimlow family plot. He was a printer by trade. On 5 Dec 1877, Arthur married Ella F. Vail (1860-?). Together they had 2 known children: Edith G. Brimlow (1880-?) 1 Edward Gorman Barker (1872-?) m2 Edward Everett Markes (1869-1939) and Florence Ella Brimlow (16 Aug 1893-10 Feb 1960) m. Lawrence Wolcott Markes (1893-1957). Sometime between 1910-1920, Ella (Vail) Brimlow married Albert P. Whitman (1858-?).
8. Frederick Austin born 9 Mar 1855, died 27 Jul 1922, Kings, buried 29 Jul 1922 Cypress Hills Cemetery. Frederick was also a printer by trade. On 18 Jun 1879, he married Caroline Hobson (1858 Ireland – 5 Jun 1947 Brooklyn, New York). Together they had 13 known children: Frederick Hobson Brimlow (1880-1880); Robert Hobson Brimlow (9 Oct 1881 – 29 Nov 1962) m Anna Alida Tryon (25 Sep 1889 – 13 Jul 1973); Joseph Arthur Brimlow (23 Jul 1883 – Jun 1975) m. Grace Nancy Potter (26 Apr 1890 – Dec 1975); Leander Woodhull Brimlow (24 Jun 1885 – Dec 1973); Ella Deborah Brimlow (30 Jan 1887 – Mar 1975) partner Frances Reafler (1907 – ?); William John Brimlow (19 Oct 1888 – aft 1953); Rebecca Alice Brimlow (5 Feb 1892 – 8 Feb 1892); Frederick Austin Brimlow Jr. (3 Apr 1893 – 12 Jan 1957) m. Anna Louise (Lulu) Grant (12 Oct 1896 – 30 Aug 1963); Sarah (Sadie) Abigail Brimlow (12 Dec 1894 – Nov 1972) m. Joseph McCrum (2 Mar 1895 – 30 Apr 1967); Henry Howard Brimlow (29 Sep 1896 – 15 Dec 1896); Eugene Brimlow (25 Jan 1898 – ?); Howard Brimlow (24 May 1899 – 26 Oct 1899); Irene Caroline Brimlow (19 Apr 1901 – 25 Oct 1942) m. John Phillip Yrizarry (1 May 1896 – 20 Nov 1939).
9. Ella Helen, born about 1858, died 29 Aug 1916. Married Governor K. Desmond (1857 – 21 Oct 1883) on 30 Jun 1880. Both are in the Brimlow family plot in Cypress Hills Cemetery.
There are simply too many sources to include here – all of William’s children and grandchildren are fully sourced on the BurgraffScott family tree on Ancestry and in Family Search